Friday, January 14, 2011

Gluten Free Poptarts

I know it's been a long time since I've posted but life is busy and I'm back with a delicious recipe to make up for my absence. I had some leftover pie crust in our freezer from the holidays and I figured a nice breakfast one morning would be gluten free/dairy free poptarts. They were so easy to make and were delicious. At first my boy said he didn't want them and then he took his first bite and declared they were good. He was right, they are good.

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Poptarts
Adapted from Tasty Kitchen


Pie crust dough - I used Gluten Free Mama's mix
Fruit jam
1 egg, beaten
Sugar


Roll the pie crust dough between two pieces of wax paper to 1/4" thickness. Cut out a rectangle that is about 4x6 inches. On one side of the rectangle put the fruit filling in the middle leaving about a 1/4 " along the sides. Fold the side of the rectangle with no filling over the side with filling. Use a fork to press the sides together and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also use a cookie cutter to cut two shapes, my girl used her strawberry cookie cutter, and press the edges together to make a fun poptart.

Brush the tops of the poptarts with the egg and then sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350 F for about 15-20 min or until the tops are starting to brown. Let them cool then drizzle with frosting. You can also sprinkle the tops with colored sugar to add some fun.

For the frosting mix a 1/2 C powdered sugar with 1-2 t of dairy free milk. Start with the smaller amount and just add enough to get it to drizzle, too much will make it too runny like mine in the picture

No comments:

Post a Comment