Thursday, May 27, 2010

At Home EZ Gluten Test

My package of EZ Gluten test strips arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to give them a try. The directions are very clear and it seems like a lot at first but it's easy and made me feel like I was back in Chemistry class. In fact I enjoyed doing these tests so much that I did three of them and plan to do another tonight.
This is what the packet contains, don't let it intimidate you, it's a lot of fun.
The first thing I wanted to test was the Trix Swirls. The directions state you need to wash your hands and work on a clean surface. If what your testing isn't already finely ground, like a flour, then you need to grind it up. They include a measuring spoon to scoop the food sample.
Place the food sample in the vial with the testing solution, put the lid on and shake that puppy for two minutes. You can see the Trix Rabbit is excited about the results.


The solution needs to sit and settle for five minutes before pipetting the liquid and placing 10 drops in the test tube.


Put the EZ Gluten test strip in the solution and walk away for 10 minutes.



You can see from the test strip for the Trix Swirls they are gluten free, woot!



I didn't know what else to test so Hubby suggested his Extra gum. I was pretty sure it was GF and didn't know if testing gum would work but I gave it a try.

The results show Extra gum is gluten free!

I felt like a pro at this point so I decided to test a Post cereal and grabbed the Fruity Pebbles.

You can see from this picture that the test results came back negative for gluten, another win!

Even though these test strips aren't cheap I'm glad I bought them and was able to put my mind at ease. That alone is worth the cost.

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!

    I need to order these!!! Would make some things so much easier!!!

    KUDOS!!!! Being diligent and yet HAVING FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a question. Have you tried these strips on a food that you know definitely has gluten in it? Would be interesting to see if they really work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried it on anything I know has gluten in it because I don't have anything in the house that contains gluten. It is something my husband suggested also so I'll have to get my hands on some gluten I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would be a neat idea to have but would want to make sure they work first before I buy them. It is so hard to guess on so many things for my son as far as what is safe and what isn't. These would come in handy when I am not sure about a certain foods.

    ReplyDelete