Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Community Supported Agriculture - Naturally Gluten Free!

With spring promising to be close, at least within the next three months, I am starting to dream about my vegetable garden and my CSA. This will be the third year that I'll be a part of the Madison Meadowlark CSA and I always look forward to the weekly pickup. It's like a present that you sort of know what you'll get but there's always a surprise. For instance the kohlrabi that really threw me for a loop. It pushes me to try new food, new recipes, and to use up (or can/freeze) the fresh produce before it goes bad. This was a struggle for me the first year but it's a healthy change and I did much better last year.

Not only is the fresh produce fantastic but I really enjoy supporting local business. If you are interested in finding out more about CSA's and what is available in your area check out LocalHarvest. You'll see we have a few options for CSA's in the Bozeman area including a yarn CSA. They also list farms that you can purchase local meat through. Some require a 1/4 or 1/2 minimum purchase of the beef, buffalo, or pork and some will sell individual cuts.

I'm now going to keep dreaming about fresh local produce, warm weather, and how I want to lay out my garden this year. Anyone else starting some seeds soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment