Thursday, November 19, 2009

1-2-3 Gluten Free Biscuits Review & Thick Chicken Soup

I don’t shop too often in Smith’s but when I was there searching for GF butterscotch chips I saw this box.



It’s a brand I’ve read about online but I sure didn’t think anyone in this area carried it, was I wrong! Two 1-2-3 Gluten Free boxes were staring at me and even though the price was a bit steep I had to pick them up. My excuse is that I need to review things for this blog, it’s working well so far. I wanted to do a chicken and dumplings type dinner but with biscuits instead of dumplings, luckily it turned out and the recipe is below. I was a bit put off initially by the ingredients they require for the biscuits, heavy whipping cream and half & half. For starter’s I rarely have whipping cream in the fridge and I never have half & half. Luckily I had some whipping cream leftover from the girls night and I substituted 1 T of melted butter with 1 C milk for the half & half (thank you Better Homes & Gardens), it worked out nicely. I liked that the box has recipes for more than just the biscuits. Inside they have recipes for cinnamon buns, veggie pizza, sausage balls, chicken pot pie, wrapped gouda appetizers, pigs-in-a-blanket, and chicken & dumplings. That’s a nice little bonus and now I want to try a few of those recipes too. I must say these biscuits are delicious, they’re a little flaky and not drying at all. I really enjoyed popping them in the microwave for 30 seconds and then spreading with jelly, it was a great breakfast. Hubby isn’t a big biscuit fan but he said they were the best he’s had, gluten filled and gluten free. If you’ve been struggling to find a good biscuit give these a try. One more note, the box states it makes 15 biscuits on the front and 16 biscuits on the back but I only got 10 out of it. I'm sure I just make mine a bit bigger than most and I did have to bake them 5 minutes longer than the box suggested.




Thick Chicken Soup
Adapted from Hey That Tastes Good


2 C leftover chicken, tore into bite sized pieces
Salt & pepper
2 T Olive Oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 ribs celery, chopped
6 garlic cloves, diced
½ C white wine
1 t Thyme
4 C GF chicken broth
¼ C GF flour (I used Gluten Free Mama’s Almond Blend)
GF Biscuits


Pour the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the vegetables. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until they start to caramelize. Add the wine, thyme, chicken, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 50 minutes. Before serving salt and pepper to taste and add the GF flour to thicken the soup to your desired consistency.

Serve the thick soup over a cut biscuit and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hey, if you want some other great recipe ideas. I found this woman by the name Rose Cole, she's a certified nutrition coach and she has awesome Holiday Recipes that are gluten free. Her site is www.RoseCole.com/HolidayCookbook. I highly recommend checking it out!

    ReplyDelete