Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Our BEST Pizza

I apologize for not posting anything last week. We did some travelling, mostly planned, but one trip was unplanned to attend a friend’s funeral in Missouri. Mark was such a fantastic guy and to lose him at the age of 32 is just heart breaking, we'll miss you Mark. Onto happier news, we were able to try a few GF menus at restaurants in 3 states and our Thanksgiving Dinner had GF stuffing from Hubby’s GF Aunt and GF pie crust from my SIL. I covered the GF gravy and none of us felt like we were missing out, it was a fantastic meal. I have a lot of recipes and reviews to post but today I want to share the best method for making GF pizza.

We’ve been trying to perfect our homemade GF pizza for awhile now and I think we finally did it. We use Gluten Free Mama’s Pizza Crust mix and it’s fantastic, I’m sure this process would work really well with your favorite GF pizza crust too.


Once your dough is mixed grease your pizza stone. I like to use garlic flavored olive oil but any olive oil will work. The Gluten Free Mama dough is for 2 12” pizzas but I used about 2/3 of the dough for my stone. I let the boy use the remaining dough to make his own little pizza or I’ll make breadsticks. Put the dough in the middle of the stone and sprinkle some flour on the top to keep it from sticking to your hands. Evenly spread the dough out on the stone letting it lay over the edge a little bit. Then fold the edges over to make the crust. I like to fold then do a little roll with the crust. Let the crust sit for 10 min and then take a fork and poke holes in the crust to keep bubbles from forming. Rub the crust (including the rolled edges) with olive oil then bake for 12 minutes in a 350 F oven.

Now it’s time for the toppings. I have a tendency to put too much of everything on my pizzas so Hubby does this part. First he puts a thin layer of pizza sauce on then he tops the sauce with Provolone cheese slices. The next layers are your toppings, we did pepperoni and mushrooms. Now sprinkle mozzarella over the toppings and then sprinkle a little bit of cheddar/jack cheese over that. Bake for 14 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is just starting to brown.


This is the best way we’ve found to bake this dough, I about died over the browned crust. Neither Hubby nor I can find anything wrong with this pizza, it’s fantastic!

Do you have any pizza secrets to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment