Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gluten Free Play dough

My boy knows he can’t have play dough because it has wheat in it, he points this out to me whenever we see a play dough commercial or see toys for it at Target. I’ve been telling him that we can make some that’s safe and I finally came through with my promise. The recipe is really easy and it’s quick to make. I felt like it wasn’t going to work at first but just keep stirring and you’ll get there. We were able to play with it right away and my girl thought it was good enough to eat, blech. We’ll build up our color options over time but this is a fantastic alternative for him.

Gluten Free Play Dough
From Celiac Sprue Association

½ C rice flour
½ C cornstarch
½ C salt
2 t cream of tartar
1 C water
1 t cooking oil
Food coloring

Mix the ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir on low for 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken and clump together. After cooled store in an airtight container or plastic bag.

If you don’t want to make your own you can purchase some pre-made GF play dough. Here’s the link for Aroma Dough and Colorations Wheat & Gluten Free Dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment