Thursday, February 25, 2010

Gluten Free Cheesy Corn Bread

My parents were up last weekend and I’ve been craving corn bread so I decided it would be a good side with our chili. I’ve been battling a sinus infection, like everyone else it seems, so my motivation level was low and I didn’t feel like looking up an already GF recipe online. Instead I grabbed my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook and decided to modify their recipe to GF. I’m happy to report it was a success. The corn bread was light and fluffy and didn’t start to dry for two days. My dad asked if he could safely eat it, habit for a long time Celiac I’m sure, and he couldn’t believe it was GF. He commented that it was the best GF corn bread he’s had and loved that it wasn’t hard. It’s a winner in my book!


Cheesy Corn Bread
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1 C GF flour blend (I used Gluten Free Mama’s Almond blend)
1 C cornmeal
4 T sugar
1 T baking powder
½ t salt
2 beaten eggs
1 C milk*
¼ C olive oil
½ C shredded cheddar cheese*

Grease a 9x9x2 baking dish and set aside. Preheat your oven to 425 F.

Stir together the GF flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture.

Combine the eggs, milk, olive oil, and cheese then pour into the well in the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened then spoon into the baking dish.

Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.

Let it cool before cutting into square and serve with honey butter.

If you like to add corn to your corn bread you can add a drained can of corn with the wet ingredients.
*For dairy free rice milk and Daiya work as great substitutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment