Friday, October 23, 2009

Chili Spaghetti & a Review

This is a fast dinner that my family likes and it’s one that you can fudge with if needed. Sometimes I like to do a little fudging. The original recipe calls for spaghetti squash to be used but since I never have spaghetti squash on hand and want it quick I have substituted with rice noodles. If you have the time or want to make it even healthier try the spaghetti squash.



Chili Spaghetti
Adapted from New Dieter’s Cookbook

8 oz Gluten Free spaghetti noodles
12 oz lean beef or buffalo burger
½ C chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 t cornstarch
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2/3 C tomato juice (I never seem to have this on hand so I use a small can of tomato paste)
11 oz can corn
2 t chili powder (decrease if you don’t want it to have a little kick)
½ t oregano
½ C shredded cheese *Omit for DF or used Daiya

Bring a pot of salted and oiled (1 T olive oil) water to a boil. Add the spaghetti noodles, cook and drain.

Brown the meat, onion, and garlic. Stir in the cornstarch then add the tomato sauce, tomato juice (or paste), corn, chili powder, and oregano. Cook and stir occasionally until thickened and bubbly.

Serve the meat sauce over the noodles and topped with cheese.

I served this meal with one of my favorite snacks, it’s odd but I love it. Glutino’s gluten free breadsticks are yummy, they surprised me actually. I love to eat them with cottage cheese and thought they’d go great with this dish. They are nice and crispy and the kids like them so we have a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment