Thursday, January 7, 2010

Children's Museum in Bozeman

I received the Children's Museum of Bozeman Newsletter for January today and happened upon something that I thought I'd share. One of the new things at the CM is below.

"Barley in the Sensory Table. If your kids liked playing with the beans, they'll love the new barley!"

This obviously poses a huge risk for any little ones that are Celiac or gluten sensitive. The more I've thought it about the more I'm realizing the risks. As kids play with the barley it will be spread around the CM, not only in it's full form but I can see cross contamination issues since hands won't be washed.

I sent the CM an e-mail bringing up the issue of having barley around and the risks it poses to little ones that can't have gluten. I'm not sure what kind of response I'll get but I'll post anything I hear.

I for one will be avoiding the CM with my kids until they are no longer using the barley, it's just not worth the risk to me. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment