Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gluten Free Steak Fingers


Last week my parents took the kids so we were feeling very free & easy, well lazy may be a better term. I asked hubby if he wanted me to make anything for dinner and he requested steak fingers. Since we can’t get greasy fried food outside of the house I do my best at home every now and then. I’ve made this recipe with different GF flours and haven’t been disappointed with any of them. Try your favorite flour mix and enjoy these tasty treats.

Steak Fingers (adapted from All Recipes)

1 egg
2 C buttermilk* (DF use your favorite DF milk w/ 2 T lemon juice, let it sit for about 30 min)
2 t onion powder
½ C GF flour (I’ve had success with Bob’s AP flour & Gluten Free Mama flour)
1 ½ pounds tenderized round steak cut into strips (I buy it already tenderized)

2 C GF flour
½ C Montina flour (you can substitute this with your GF flour)
2 t garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Oil for frying

Beat together the egg, buttermilk, onion powder, and ½ C flour in a bowl. Add the steak and toss until coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, I prefer to let it sit over night.

Mix the GF flour, Montina flour, garlic powder, and salt & pepper. Remove the steak from the marinade allowing excess batter to drip off. Dip the steak into the seasoned flour coating well and set aside on wax paper. Heat the oil to 370F in a skillet. I put enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet but not to cover the entire strip of steak. Place the steak fingers in the hot oil and fry for about 5 minutes then flip and fry the other side for another 3-5 minutes or until brown. Remove from the oil and allow them to drain on paper towels before serving.

We keep these simple and dip them in ketchup, they are delicious.

*If you don’t have buttermilk you can replace it with 2 C milk and 2 T lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment