Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) this summer and I love it. For starters it has us eating veggies I’ve never tried before and I’m eating a lot more of the ones I have had. It’s like a present every week opening the bag to see what I got. My last share had a huge zucchini in it and since hubby isn’t a fan of zucchini I never buy it. I wasn’t sure what to do with it but I’m out of muffins and since my kids love muffins the conclusion became very easy. I modified my banana bread recipe a bit to make these and overall I’m happy with them. I think they need a little more of a spice but I’m not sure what to put in there, maybe cardamom or ginger? I froze half of the shredded zucchini because I had a lot so maybe I’ll try to kick it up a bit with my next batch.


Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

3 C GF flour (I used Gluten Free Mama’s Almond flour)
½ T xanthan gum
3 t cinnamon
3 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
3 eggs
¾ C butter, softened
1 2/3 C brown sugar, packed
2 C shredded zucchini
2 t vanilla
1 C chocolate chips, raisins, and/or walnuts

In a bowl sift the GF flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In a mixing bowl cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time then add in the vanilla mixing thoroughly. Mix in the shredded zucchini then add the flour mixture in 3 batches mixing thoroughly after each batch. Add the chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips) or raisins. You could also add the walnuts here but that’s not for me, bleh! Put the batter into a muffin pan and bake at 325 F for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I also made a batch of mini-muffins and baked them for 25 minutes. This recipe gave me 17 regular sized muffins and 24 mini-muffins. If you bake it in a bread pan bake for about an hour.

This makes about 24 servings with 197 calories per serving, I count 3 mini-muffins as 1 serving.


The texture was perfect on these and they are not crumbly at all. Super yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment