Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


I wasn’t sure how gluten free Yellowstone would be so I packed enough food to feed an army for a week, I’m really good at overdoing it. To go along with the fruit, vegetables, cheese, and lunch meat I just knew we needed cookies. I made my favorite oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip cookies just for some extra variety and because I like to overdo it. Our gluten eating guests devoured these cookies and then asked for the recipes. You know it’s good when that happens. My dad’s comment on these cookies when he first had them was “These are real cookies. They’re better than anything you could buy and you’d never know they’re gluten free.” That statement is very true so please try these because you will fall out of your seat in ecstasy.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Jill at Hey That Tastes Good

3 ¼ C Gluten Free Mama Almond Flour
1/3 C Teff flour*
1 ½ t xanthan gum
1 ¼ t baking soda
1 ½ t baking powder
1 ½ t salt
2 ½ stick of butter, softened
1 ¼ C brown sugar
1 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
1 bag GF chocolate chips
1 bag GF mini chocolate chips**


Sift together the flour, teff (if you’re using this),xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cream the butter with the sugars until fluffy then beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and beat well. Add the flour mixture until combined then add the chocolate chips. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours.


Preheat oven to 350 F. Scoop balls of dough and place on a cookie sheet, I used my Pampered Chef medium scoop. Sprinkle lightly with coarse salt and bake 10-12 minutes. Be sure to wipe any salt off the cookie sheet before putting more dough on it, otherwise you will have very salty cookies. Allow the cookies to cool a bit before placing on a cooling rack. Using my medium scoop I had about 48 cookies from this recipe. The cookies freeze nicely.

*You can substitute the teff flour with your main flour mix. I have made the cookies with and without the teff and both were yummy.
** I love my chocolate chip cookies to be chocolaty but if this is too much for you reduce the chocolate chips by half.

No comments:

Post a Comment