Thursday, August 13, 2009

Gluten Free Graham Crackers



I was busy baking to prepare for our company last week and for our trip to Yellowstone. One item on my baking list was graham crackers and it just so happened that The Cinnamon Quill posted a delicious looking graham cracker recipe so I could try something new. The first graham crackers I made were Carol Fenster’s and they were OK but not spectacular so I wanted to try another recipe. I made a couple changes to the recipe but if you want the original go here. These graham crackers are delicious. The gluten eaters that visited us liked them a lot and my kids won’t stop eating them. Plus they make delicious S’mores.


Gluten Free Graham Crackers
Adapted from The Cinnamon Quill

1 C Gluten Free Mama Almond Flour
¼ C Brown Rice Flour
¾ C Teff Flour
¼ C Sorghum Flour
½ C Brown Sugar
1 t Baking Powder
¾ t Xanthan Gum
½ t Baking Soda
½ t Salt
7 T Cold Butter, cut into pieces
4 T Cold Water
3 T Honey
1 ½ T Molasses
1 t Vanilla Extract
1 ½ t Cinnamon
1 t ginger
Extra flour for rolling

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl then add the butter and blend with a pastry cutter or your fingers. Stir in the water, honey, molasses, vanilla, and spices. The dough will come together in a ball and should be pliable. Adjust the water as needed to keep it from being too dry or too sticky.

Spray a cookie sheet with oil and roll out half of the dough to 1/8” thickness. To get the traditional look of a graham cracker cut the rectangular shapes in the dough using a pizza cutter then pierce the rectangles with a fork. You can also roll the dough on the counter top using the flour as needed and cut shapes out of the dough then place them on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes. The cookies will become crispy while they cool. I had to cut the rectangular shapes again with the pizza cutter after they cooled, it didn’t work too well when I tried to break them off.

You can substitute the different flours with your favorite flour or whatever you have on hand. The original recipe called for 1 C brown rice flour but I only had ¼ C on hand so I added the teff flour.

2 comments:

  1. Another success! My family loves these. I can't wait to try them as smores when we go camping Memorial day weekend! That is, if they make it that long, we might eat them all up before then, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to restock us also since we finally have the weather to sit out and roast some marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete