Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cheeseburger Skillet Dinner

I work full time out of the house and I need as many quick and easy recipes as I can get. I love to cook and bake but some, OK most, days I only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table and this recipe is one that meets my needs. We all like this meal, my 2 year old will eat an adult sized portion and even my dad who doesn’t like macaroni and cheese loves this recipe. This is most definitely a favorite in our house.

Cheeseburger Skillet Dinner
(Adapted from cooks.com)

1 pkg GF Mac & Cheese*
½ to 1 lb ground beef
½ C chopped onion
2 C frozen corn**
1/3 C ketchup***
¼ C water
½ t Dijon mustard
¼ t garlic powder
1 C shredded cheddar cheese

Prepare the macaroni & cheese as directed on the package.
In a large skillet brown the meat and onion the stir in the corn, ketchup, water, mustard, and garlic powder. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes or until the corn is crisp-tender. Reduce heat to low and stir in the cheddar cheese. Add the macaroni & cheese to the meat and mix well, cook another couple minutes or until it’s heated through.

*I use Annie’s GF rice mac & cheese. You can find it at Rosauer’s but I purchase it through Amazon since it’s cheaper. I do add 2 T of butter to the noodles and then only add about 2T of milk, I find it to be too runny if I at the ¼ C milk like the directions ask for. I have also used the Namaste mac & cheese for this recipe and it gave it a great kick, you can purchase this at Rosauer’s also.

**The original recipe called for frozen mixed vegetables so experiment if you’d like. I like the sweetness of the corn.

***Be sure you use GF ketchup, we also avoid HFCS and we love Annie’s Naturals Organic Ketchup. This is another product I order through Amazon but I know you can get it at Lee & Dad’s, the Coop, and Rosauer’s.

The picture doesn't quite do it justice but trust me this is worth trying.














My son didn't want his plate left out of the picture taking. This is serving one of his three total.





No comments:

Post a Comment