Thursday, December 17, 2009

Seasoning Stoneware

I'm planning to post my favorite Christmas candy recipes tomorrow, I just need to remember to take pictures tonight. It's going on my to-do list.

Stoneware is the bomb but I hate using it the first few times, things just stick to it until it gets some seasoning and this doesn’t bode well for non-greasy dishes. That’s when I realized I can season it from the start to make it non-stick and then I’m a happy camper. I’ve done this with most of my stoneware and it works wonderfully.

To start make a 2:1 butter/shortening:salt mixture. Base how much you make on how much stoneware surface you plan to season. For instance I seasoned a 14” pizza stone with ¼ C butter and 2 T salt. Preheat your oven to 250 F and take the salt mixture and rub it all over the stoneware. If you have a piece that doesn’t have a lip you may want to set something under it to prevent the butter from dripping in your oven. Put the stoneware in the oven for 20 minutes then remove and let it sit. Once it’s cool to touch take a paper towel and rub the salt into the stoneware surface. Place the stoneware back into the oven, turn the oven off, and let it sit overnight. The next day rinse the stoneware with hot water and you now have a non-stick stone ready for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment